Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oops! I gigged again

It's been more than a year since the last time I grabbed a guitar.
I thought I wouldn't fall into temptations again, but... it happened.
Last week, in a rehearsal room.
And.. uh! I wasn't alone.
So I think I can state that I play again in (a sort of) a band, somehow.
We're only in two, so far. Me on bass and voice and a friend of mine on guitar.
A third member is going to join us soon. A real bass player. So I'll switch to rhythm guitar.
And by the end of the month we would succeed in dragging a drummer, too.
This is the nth time I try to make music again. But this time it's different!! Promise!

While checking amps, microphones and volumes, we wanted to put our sense of rhythm to the test.
I'm not a big fan of so called "math rock" (like "Don Caballero", for instance); even if I was, I wouldn't be able to play anything "mathematic".
The most complicated thing that came to my mind was "Vasoline", by the Stone Temple Pilots.
Yes, it's not tortuous at all, on a rhythmic level, and.. yes, I'm a very poor guitar player (yet excellent songwriter, oh yes yes yes!).
But that song is marvellous.
(Original video here, and here)

Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline (1994)

1 comment: