Saturday, November 6, 2010

riot grrrl herstory

i started reading sara marcus' book girls to the front: the true story of the riot grrrl revolution the other day, and though i haven't gotten very far yet, i can still already say that i like it.

for me, riot grrrl was always about music - bikini kill mostly, and sleater-kinney, and heavens to betsy - but even music that's technically not riot grrrl at all, just angry somewhat feminist punk and rock n' roll. for the teenager me it wasn't really that important what it was called, just that it made me feel right, made me able to relate and that really shaped me into who i am. for that i can never not love them.

in reality, riot grrrl was so much more than that. they actually lived feminism, they didn't just play and sing it. they had a real cultural impact. i'll tell you more when i've finished the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment