Thursday, March 31, 2011

Birthdays and self-gifts


So it's my birthday, today.
And it's time for a self gift.
Because, you know, the (not-written) rules of this blog are strict and inflexible: "Remember: thou won't write about anything happened before the 1st of January 1990 and after the 31st of December 1999. Rrremember!".
Thus this is one of the rare chances I have to venture out of the 90s.
It's a crime worth committing, I think.
The record is 1988 "Nothing's shocking" by Jane's Addiction.
I'll write an entire post about them sooner or later, that's for sure.
For now, let me just say that: if you want to thoroughly and deeply understand and appreciate the 90s, you definitely shouldn't keep ignoring it.
There are no fillers, no dull songs on that record.
It's so dense, so full of ideas, genres, sheer class and genius.
And there are Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro at their best.
I would have liked to upload "Ocean size" video, but, you know, embedding is not permitted... (however, here's the link)
So here is "Jane says", the most relaxed moment on "Nothing's shocking".
A sublime ballad. With my name in it, too.

Jane's Addiction - Jane says (1988)

1 comment:

  1. you know, you can venture out of the 90s as much as you want! especially when it's to pick up jewels like this one :)

    happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete